Solo Life + Learning to Cook Chicken Cordon Bleu / Chicken Roll

I've been living in solo for almost like 8 years--6+ years in Manila and almost 2 years in Pampanga. Some people thought it is lonely. But, heck, I've been living a life filled with adventure, self-discovery, and fulfillment. So, what's the chicken cordon bleu or chicken roll got to do with this? Read on.

Solo-living can be tough sometimes especially if there are technical troubles like changing the light bulb but I couldn't reach it and problems on electrical wiring. And it can be nightmarish too when your safety is being compromised. When I was in Manila, my place got ransacked. And in a separate incident, I was nearly a victim of assault or sexual harassment, glad it didn't led to violence or rape.

Cooking for myself is not exactly what I do everyday. It is quite economical if I'll just buy some food outside and devour it for days. But sometimes, as a woman, you feel that desire to cook and to be good at it. Sometimes, you also wanted to impress someone or your family. You want to hear their compliment or you simply want to see them enjoy eating.

So last time, I decided to cook chicken cordon bleu or chicken roll. Though I didn't have a mallet to pound the chicken, I was optimistic to be a success in this endeavor. I am not sure where that confidence is coming from. Maybe because I always tend to find way with things.

Cordon bleu or chicken roll is that meat roll with cheese and ham filling typically served during special occasions and holidays. So, I made my own version with it's white sauce.

Ingredients:

For the chicken roll
Boneless chicken breast (you may leave the skin on but it can  make it a little difficult to roll)
Salt and pepper
Flour
Bread crumbs
2 eggs, whisked
Sliced green bell pepper
Sliced cheddar chees
Ham slices
Toothpicks
oil for deep-frying

For the white sauce
Nestle cream
melted butter

Procedure:

For the chicken roll
1.  Flatten the chicken breast. Use a mallet or something heavy to roll or pound it until it's flatten.
2.  Add salt and pepper to the chicken breast.
3.  Place the chicken roll on a flat surface. Put one ham slices per chicken fillet.
4.  Put the sliced green bell pepper and the sliced cheddar cheese on top of the ham.
5.  Then carefully roll the meat. Fasten the chicken roll with toothpick. Make sure the filling is not showing because the cheese could melt and make everything messy when it is being cooked.
6.  Brush or dip the rolls into the egg.
7.  Dredge the rolls with floor.
8.  Dip the rolls into the egg again.
9.  Cover the rolls with bread crumbs.
10.  Heat the oil in a pan.
11.  Deep fry the rolls in medium heat.

For the white sauce
1.  Put the melted butter and nestle cream in the sauce pan.
2.  Let it simmer until it reaches its sticky consistency.


Slice the chicken rolls. Top it with the white sauce.




Also read: 10 Delicious Recipes Using Leftover Roasted or Fried Chicken from the Holidays

Comments

Popular Posts