Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan 2015 - Part I

Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan is a sumptuous buffet of  Kapampangan dishes set every October as part of the month-long fiesta celebration of the city. The event is a fundraiser activity by Kuliat Foundation Inc. for the benefit of the maintenance and operation of the Museo ning Angeles.

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan
A view from Museo Ning Angeles

This year, I finally had the chance to join Pamangan and experience gastronomic bliss. Thanks to Caren Kwong Basilio of K Cafe who forwarded me the info about this year's event.

Pamangan showcase the culinary prowess of Kapampangans. It once again prove to the nation why it is worthy to be called as the Culinary Capital of the Philippines, though there is really nothing to prove because it is evident that Kapampangan dishes stand out. With a long history of foreign influence, Kapampangan cuisine is all about perfect blend of different flavors.

I recalled what Angeles City's First Lady Miniang Pamintuan said that Angeles City may not be abundant with natural resources but it has many great talents. She was initially referring to the artists in the city but I was thinking of the culinary experts that the city breeds.


Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan


WHAT'S ON THE BUFFET TABLE?


Pamangan offered guests buffet for Pagtuan (lunch) or Apunan (dinner).  For just P500/head you get to enjoy Kapampangan food prepared by city's famous restaurants, caterers and culinary schools. Guests enjoyed a feast of familiar Kapampangan dishes to some exotic delicacies. Mouthwatering desserts were also served.

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan
This is how my plate looks like. And yeah, that is a frog in the middle of my plate.


My eating capacity had been tested. I don't want to sound like a glutton but I intended to taste every dish that was served because I wanted to give my verdict. Unfortunately, it was just too much. I am not really sure what food coma means until now. I swore I won't be eating that much again.

I am breaking this blog post into two parts mainly because I wanted to give more room to talk about the dishes. So let me start off with my favorites.


Buru

By Miniang Pamintuan


Buru is fermented rice with shrimp or fish. It is typically served with vegetables like fresh mustard greens or mustasa, steamed ampalaya and talong. It is also perfect with grilled tilapia.

Buru is not easy to love. I was disgusted with this dish when I first came to Pampanga. I wondered how on earth that Kapampangans love this kind of food when it smells and looks like a cat's puke. As an adopted child of  Angeles City, it took me a while to love it. Loving buru is an acquired taste. Now, buru is one of my fave. I would even crave for it and secretly hope that my sister-in-law will cook one.

The buru served during the Pamangan event was carefully prepared by Miniang Pamintuan. It never failed to satisfy me. It was superb!  If  only I was eating at the comfort of our home, I would eat it with bare hands.

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan


Lechon

Don't fake it guys, I know you love lechon too. Imagine its tasty and crispy skin and the little fat that goes along with it that melts in your mouth.

Cebu are known for their lechon. I personally love how most of the southern people prepared their lechon. The secret is the tanglad that give that distinct aroma and taste. Nevertheless, with Kapampangan's flair for cooking, the lechon they served during Pamangan was equally good. The sauce that goes with it was absolutely delectable.

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan



Bagnet sandwich

by Claude Tayag

Bagnet originates from Ilocos. It is a deep friend pork belly similar to lechon kawali. Famous Kapampangan author and chef Claude Tayag, the man behind the famous Bale Dutung and Downtown Cafe, made his version of the Italian's Porcheta. Using bagnet toasted ciabatta bread, he sandwiched slices of bagnet with tomatoes, onions and mustasa

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan


Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan
With Chef Claude Tayag

Read this blog post too: DOWNTOWN CAFE, ANGELES CITY

Camaru

by Ikabud Restuarant


Camaru or kamaru is an exotic Kapampangan dish. It is mole crickets that are found in the rice field. It is often cooked adobo style or deep fried.

Ikabud Restuarant, a local resto that offer native delicacies, served camaru during Pamangan. It was my first time to eat. Without thinking what it is made of, I took a bite of these cooked insect. Surprisingly, I did like it. It was crispy and very tasty.

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan


You may want to read this article: YUFUIN, ANGELES CITY

Pako salad 

Pako is edible or fiddlehead fern. Kapampangan typically made it into salad. Personally, I love it with ebung buru (fermented egg), mixed with chopped onions and tomatoes. I love putting a vinaigrette with a little mayo on it for added flavor.

During Pamangan, they served pako salad with an asian dressing by Glam (owned by Chuck T. Gueco). It was truly appetizing!

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan



Cake 
by K Cafe

A great meal ends with a delicious dessert. Good thing I still had a room for a slice of this delicious cake. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch the name. I may not know it's name but the mere fact that it was made by K Cafe, you'll be assured that it is of high quality. Personally, I think of K Cafe as a haven for great dessert.

Also Read the following blog posts about K Cafe's delicious offerings:


Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com: Pamangan Fiestang Kapampangan


Read the second part of this blog post here: PAMANGAN FIESTANG KAPAMPANGAN 2015 - PART II


Were you in the Pamangan event? Feel free to share your stories in the comment box below.

Share the love, share this blog post.



Comments

Popular Posts