Buko Cream Pie and Life's Drama

I've been out of the blogosphere for apparently too long that it became challenging for me on how to start this post. I would not go through the details on why it took me months before I could write. But, let me just say that I had to deal with life's drama. One thing leads to another--fate seems to bring me back to the home I abandoned a long time ago.

 As of this writing, I am in Laguindingan This place is quite unknown to people living in Manila not until the Cagayan de Oro Airport was moved into the municipality. And many people could not figure out where in the Philippine map is Laguindingan until the Belmonte ambush happened.

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com - Buko Cream Pie and Life's Drama
During the Belmonte ambush

 So, I've been staying in Laguindingan while licking away life's pain through the help and support of my family, friends and our brethren in Christ.



Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com - Buko Cream Pie and Life's Drama
Access road, Laguindingan
What happened to me was pretty intense. I was not directly hit by a tragedy--a family member was--but I was greatly affected. The situation that God gave us let me realize the value of life and my family. It made me realize that in a wink, God can change our situation. He can instantly put you in a very difficult situation so you would stop, pray and listen. And He can also gives you immediate solution if you just put your trust in Him. If there is a single word that I could describe what I felt then, it is "amazed". I was amazed how God works--how He use people to be the channel of His blessings.


BUKO CREAM PIE

The coconut industry dominates in Misamis Oriental. In fact, it  topped the agricultural produce of the province. Based on 2009 statistics, coconut have 103,258 hectares, giving the province a 507,280 metric tons production.

Just when I thought that it becomes a dim economy, I've read that the Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) is embarking on a P50-million coconut growing project in Misamis Oriental this year. This will certainly boosts the coconut industry and gives coconut farmers reason to be excited this year.

Since our land is blessed with coconut trees, I can always get myself some coconut any time of the day. I used to buy coconut for P35 a piece but when I came to the province I can simply pay someone maybe somewhere P20-30 for climbing the trees and give me as much coconut as I want.

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com - Buko Cream Pie and Life's Drama
Kibaghot, Laguindingan

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com - Buko Cream Pie and Life's Drama
Punta Sulawan, Laguindingan


I've been thinking and researching of recipes that make use of the coconut meat. My research points me to endless recipes but I was particularly interested on coconut cream pie.

Unlike the typical buko pie that we are accustomed to, the buko cream pie is no-baked and it is topped with whipped cream. If you can buy a pie shell from the grocery, that is perfect but you can also use crushed graham crackers to make the shell.

So, here is the procedure for my version of buko cream pie less the vanilla pudding and the dessicated coconut--I find the real buko meat more delicious.


Ingredients:

For the Graham pie crust

1 1/2 cups crushed Graham crackers
1/3 cup of white sugar
6 tbsp melted butter


For the filling

3 cups milk
2 large eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1-3 cups scraped coconut meat (depending how much you want)

For the whipped cream

1 cup of whipped cream
1 tbsp sugar

Utensils you need

Spoon
measuring cups
Pie container
whisk
spatula


Procedure:
  • Mix the crushed Graham crackers, white sugar and melted butter.
  • Using the back of your spoon, mold the pie crust using the Graham mixture. Then, put it in the freezer while making your filling.
  • Combine the milk, eggs, white sugar, flour, salt and vanilla. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
  • Upon reaching a sticky consistency, remove it from the fire and add the scraped coconut meat.
  • Pour the filling into the pie crust. Chill it until firm, about 2-3 hours.
  • Mix the whipped cream and the sugar. And top it into the pie. If there are some scraped buko left, you may top it into the cream. I topped mine with mini chocolate kisses.
This recipe should be ready in 4 hours. It is best served cold.

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com - Buko Cream Pie and Life's Drama

Hungry-pinay.blogspot.com - Buko Cream Pie and Life's Drama


I really hope that you can also try this recipe. Give it a little tweak so you can achieve your own desired consistency and flavor.








Comments

Popular Posts