Rediscovering My Hometown: Laguindingan, Misamis Oriental

They say, you never know what you have until you lose it. My recent vacation to my old hometown made me realize that.

Only few people in my circle know that I spent most of my childhood years in Laguindingan. That place is anonymous to a lot people not until today when Cagayan de Oro moved its airport to Laguindingan, making this municipality exist in the Philippine map and become part of some travel itineraries.


REMINISCING

Back when I was a child, I would often run on unpaved and dusty pathways just like in this photo. And I would go home with bruises and soiled feet and some handful of wild flowers I picked along the way. Yes, there is nothing extraordinary with this but in the world where people build cities, streets, bridges, and walls, you will appreciate trekking a road like this.



True to the saying: familiarity breeds contempt, I grew up without affinity to the place. In fact, it was easy for me to trade that laid back life to the city life. The city was enticing back then. It used to be fun and exciting. However, as I grew older, I felt that longing for the idyllic life and nature.



MARINE SANCTUARY

I really never realized on how close Laguindingan is to the sea. The travel could pose as a challenge though because of the rough road and the distance from civilization but, oh com'on, people are willing to travel long distance and take a plane just to go to a virgin beach. And where is that sense of adventure if you dislike a simple rough road. The trek going to Mount Pinatubo is a lot worse.



After 30-minute bumpy ride, we reached Moog Marine Sanctuary. It's a cove where people can dive together with the fishes. Expect no electricity in the area. The only sign of civilization here is a cottage and the CR that is not so comfortable.



Meters away from the cove proudly stands a lighthouse that looks majestic amid the grassy plain.



NORTHERN MINDANAO CUISINE

Cuisine in this part of the archipelago tends to be a lot simpler, evidence of less or almost no Spanish influence. What's apparent is the use of the ingredients that are abundant in the region like seafood. Lemon grass is a commonly used herb especially in soup and roasted pork and chicken, which creates that unique aroma and taste.

Like Japanese with their sashimi, people in the region loves to eat kinilaw na isda (raw fish salad). Tabon-tabon, which is native in the region, is one ingredient used mainly for this dish.

kinilaw na isda

eating fresh clam

Grilled pork, pork adobo and escabeche

My short vacation in my hometown rekindled that love that I once felt but have forgotten. Many things have changed but a lot of things stayed the same too. However, with the  airport within the vicinity, I anticipate that this is going to change the simple life of the people not to mention commerce and lifestyle. It's a bit exciting but I also thought its going to lose the "virginal" and rustic beauty of the place.


Comments

  1. Wow! Sarap sa probinsya nyo. You are lucky na meron ka na nababakasyonan na ganyan kaganda ang lugar. At ang mga pagkain ay sariwa. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting po! Ngaun ko lang talaga naappreciate kung gaano kaganda ang probinsya namin. I'm looking forward na makauwi ulit before the year ends. Salamat!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank your for visiting Hungry Pinay. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Popular Posts